Are Metal Roofs Worth the Cost?
Are you in the market for a new roofing system? If so, you want to choose a roof that is going to add value and curb appeal to your home. One roofing system that homeowners are loving is metal roofing. While metal roofs used to be known as a strictly commercial roof, they are becoming more and more popular for residential properties. When it comes to metal roofs, it is going to cost more than traditional asphalt shingles, so a lot of people wonder if its actually worth the cost and if they will add value to your home. Depending on your personal preferences will determine whether its worth the cost for you, but it is worth noting that this type of roof will add value to your home. To find out if a metal roof is right for you and your home, its important to take a look at the pros and cons of a metal roof.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Metal Roofing?
If you are on the fence about whether a metal roof is the best option for your home, then you need to learn more about the pros and cons of a metal roof. Knowing what the disadvantages and advantages are will help you make the best decision for your home.
Metal Roofing Benefits
- Long-Lasting: A lot of people ask, “How long will a metal roof last?” and the answer is that a metal roof can last 50 to even 70 years when they are properly taken care of.
- Resistant: Depending on the metal material that is used for your roof, metal roofs can be impact resistant against hail, they can resist severe winds, as well as resist against fire, corrosion, and cracking.
- Energy-Efficient: Metal roofs have a reflective material, which means they are able to reflect UV rays and radiant heat. This is great as it can save a lot of money on energy bills.
- Sustainable: These types of roofs are made up of recyclable materials and once they have reached their lifespan, they are able to be completely recycled.
Metal Roofing Drawbacks
- Expensive: Metal roofing is a lot more expensive than most residential roofing materials.
- Noise: If you don’t want your metal roof to be noisy then you will need to add insulation to block out any outside noise.
- Fading: Another question that people like to ask about metal roofs is, “Will metal roof fade” If your metal roof has a coated or painted finish, then it can start to fade.
- Dents: Depending on the metal that your roofing uses, some metal roofs can dent very easily.
What Are the Best Metal Roofs?
If you are interested in metal roofing, then you probably want to know what the best metal roofing is. There are several choices when it comes to metal roof materials, which include aluminum, copper, steel, tin, and zinc. Aluminum roofs are resistant to corrosion, but they can be pretty expensive. Copper roofs are very long-lasting, but it can be easily dented. Steel is affordable, as well as has a couple of types to choose from like galvalume, galvanized, and weathering, and stone coated steel, but steel doesn’t have the best insulation. Tin is easy to install but its hard to come by and it rusts easily. Zinc is self healing because of its patina, but it does have a chalking effect to it.
Not only do metal roofs have a wide range of materials to choose from, but there are several styles to choose from. The most common styles that you will see are corrugated, standing seam, and metal shingles. Corrugated metal roofs are manufactured as metal panels, standing seam metal roofs are manufactured as panels and sheets, and then metal shingles can mimic the look of popular roofing like slate, tile, and wood shakes. Depending on what you want in a roofing system will determine what material and style metal roof you want. Fortunately, a professional roofer can help you make a decision that’s right for you and your budget.
Metal Roofing Vs Asphalt Shingles
When choosing residential roofing, asphalt shingles are always at the forefront. This is because they are affordable, look good, are easy to install, and last awhile. A lot of people who are choosing between metal roofs and asphalt shingles typically ask, “Is a metal roof better than shingles?” The function of a roof is going to depend on what features you want in a roof. Metal roofs do last longer than asphalt shingles, are more eco-friendly, energy-efficient, and durable. Asphalt shingles do cost less than metal roofing, but they will not last as long. When investing in a new roof, choosing a new roof might depend on how long you are going to be in your home. If you aren’t going to live there for a long time, then you might go with asphalt shingles; if you plan on making your home your life long home, then you should consider metal roofing.
Metal Roofing for Houses
Give Us a Call!
If you want metal roofing for your Canton and Roswell, GA home, call Affordable Gutters Plus LLC at 770-735-4433! We have the best roofing services in the area. Just like you wouldn’t call just anyone for HVAC maintenance in Bonaire, GA, you should do the same for metal roof installations. For professional and high-quality metal roofing and services in the area, contact our roofing contractors to make an appointment.